The 2013-2014 Concert Series presents...
Sunday, February 23, 2014
Matinée Concert 4:00 pm
at Marketview Arts
Above: Dovetail Ensemble performs in Claiborne, MD, April 24, 2013.
With support from Mr. & Mrs. Louis J. Appell, Jr.
Dovetail Ensemble is under the auspices of Freyda's Hands, a non-profit organization inspired by the life and work of groudbreaking fidddler Freyda Epstein. The ensemble is devoted to not only presenting excellent collaborations across traditions, but also to educating about collaborative skills as well as about the traditions they come from.
Diverse traditions collaborate with stunning artistry and deep respect when GRAMMY® nominees and international touring artists meet in a new ensemble. Each voice is memorable. Together they soar. Each concert is fresh and surprising, inviting audiences into the process of collaboration as well as its thrilling results.
"Dovetail... an incredibly strong bond between high-caliber musicians with diverse musical styles. The level of improvisation and sharing is a delight." —David Eisner, concert presenter, Institute of Musical Traditions
The Dovetail Ensemble is a flexible company of stellar performers including blues harmonica master Phil Wiggins, the amazing percussive dancer Nic Gareiss, classical cellist Jodi Beder, guitarist Owen Morrison, ballad singer and fiddler Daron Douglas, and fiddler Andrea Hoag. The ensemble draws from traditions as diverse as North Indian Kathak dance, Afro-Peruvian percussion, jazz saxophone, and contemporary dance. A Dovetail Ensemble performance is playful, deep, intricate, and straight to the heart.
"I don't think I'm overdoing it to say that collaborating on this project is becoming a life-changing experience for me. I can't wait to see what paths it takes us down." —Phil Wiggins
37 W. Philadelphia Street, York, PA 17401
Join us for dinner and conversation afterward at the White Rose Bar & Grill, around the corner at 48 North Beaver Street.
Matinée Concert: 4:00pm
$20 General Admission
$16 SFMS Members
$10 Students— ages 3 to 22
Advance Tickets@ BrownPaperTickets.com
To Learn More...
- Visit Dovetail Ensemble’s website
- Visit Dovetail Ensemble on Facebook
- See videos of Dovetail Ensemble at Vimeo.com
- Listen to "Old Doors/New Worlds" by Dovetail Ensemble at CDBaby.com
About the Performers...
- Phil Wiggins (harmonica and vocals) is arguably America's foremost blues harmonica virtuoso. While rooted in the melodic Piedmont blues, his mastery of the instrument now transcends stylistic boundaries.
- Owen Morrison (guitar) is a composer and performer whose work with the dance bands Elixir and Nightwatch is enhanced by his studies of flamenco and jazz guitar.
- Andrea Hoag is an American-born fiddler with a Grammy nomination for traditional Swedish fiddling and a reputation for versatility.
- Nic Gareiss (percussive dance) draws from and transcends traditional footwork vocabulary. The Irish Times says: "the human epitome of the unbearable lightness of being"
- Daron Douglas (fiddle and vocals) is a New Orleans-based fiddler whose family Appalachian ballad tradition was passed down from the renowned singer Jane Gentry.
- Jodi Beder (cello) is a classical performer equally at home with Baroque and microtonal music. She is a member of the cabaret-rock ensemble Zen for Primates, and writes music for poets and playwrights.